Wednesday, November 01, 2006

OCD, quirk, or tick?

So, last night I'm laying in bed. Scott has instantly fallen asleep and I'm a little annoyed that he's done this. I'm jealous and I get the urge to poke him or kick him so he'll wake up and talk with me. But, I decide that would be rude and I let him sleep. Then it happens, I start running my hands through my hair. I start twisting and twirling and making sure every strand of hair goes in and out between every finger. I do this until my hand and arm can no longer function. It's called my little "OCD" (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) I do this all the time, and I've done it ever since I can remember. Then I got to thinking, everyone has some little 'tick', or 'quirk', or 'little OCD' that they deal with, right? For my mom it's the phone or the light switch. After almost every phone call she gets, she has to take the phone touch it to her left ear, and then again to her right.

Mom:"Ok, goodbye, we'll talk to you later." Touch left, Touch right, hang up!

As for the light switch, whenever my mom leaves a room and flips off the light switch. She doesn't just walk away, she has to flip it down once, flip it down twice, and then flip it one last time.

mom:"Just making sure the light switch stays off."

So I got to thinking some more and I wanted to try to figure out if I could recognize some of the little 'ticks' that the people I associate with have. (I know, I know, what a subject huh!)

My sister, whenever she's concentrating, listening, or focusing in on something, she's always got her hands up next to her face with her birdy fingers scratching her eyelids. Can you say "quirky". Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Another quirky thing she does: Rubs her pinky finger along her lips (as if she's putting lipstick on) .

My brother in law (my sister's husband) has to always shake his leg. Whenever we're eating, the table starts to move, if we're watching a game, the bleachers start to move, if we're anywhere, he's shaking his leg. It drives me crazy! My sister is so used to it that she can't sleep now if he's not shaking his leg.

A co-worker of mine is so obsessed with germs that he actually buys the huge tub of hand sanitizer and goes through one once a month.

Rocky:"yeah, but Sherrie was the last one to touch the coffee pot and she was sneezing last week."

Our copy guy at work, the guy who comes in to service the machine, wears glasses and without fail he is always twitching his nose to make sure his glasses stay in place.

Copy guy: "Don't worry (twitch, twitch) your copy (twitch) machine will (twitch) be as good (twitch) as new." (twitch, twitch, twitch)

For my friend Michelle, it's adjusting her shoulders while she talks.

My friends dad, he HAS to move his eyebrows while he's talking. Just watching his eyebrows alone you might be able to interpret what he's saying.

For Scott, it's tickling his arms while it sticking straight up. I have found him doing this at night, in his sleep. He's got one arm shot up in the air, and his other hand lightly tickling his arm.

Just talking about all this reminds me of Ray Ramono's brother on "Everybody loves Raymond." Whenever he eats, he has to touch his food to his chin before he can put it in his mouth. This is what I'm talking about. Can you think of a weird 'quirk', or little bout of 'OCD' that you, a family member, or friend may have? It's interesting. I know for me, my little OCD brings comfort. For others it may be nerves, or a serious disorder. I'm not making fun, just observing.

This is what I was thinking about last night just before I finally drifted to sleep as my arm and hand hit the pillow with a THUD!!

5 comments:

  1. The Man has a couple that were already mentioned: He's constantly shaking his leg, and he rubs his thumb nail across his bottom lip when concentrating. (I think it's from his finger sucking days as a child.)

    I, on the other hand, am perfect, and have absolutely NO quirks or ticks. Just kidding. Actually, The Man and I were just discussing one tonight that we both have (before we read your post). If one hand is wet, and we go to dry it off, we both HAVE to get the other one wet (by wiping the wet hand on the dry one) before using the towel.

    I know, totally weird. Did you really want to know that? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! My fingers and toes are constantly in motion. If I have a little piece of paper I'm rolling it, or I'll rub my finger and thumb together and it squeeks, and my toes are never still. I have to make a conscious effort not to do these things and I'll be doing them in a minute anyway! How strange we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:01 AM

    After being outted by the woman, I think it's only fair that I tell you one of HER endearing quirks. It's a really funny one to me.

    Whenever I climb into bed on a night when she has already gone to bed before me (so, most nights), and IF she's facing away from my side already...the second she senses that I've crawled in, she (unconsciously and very predictably) will immediately start scooting her bum toward me until we're spooning, regardless of how far on MY side she needs to go. It cracks me up! I quietly giggle every time she does it!

    I've learned that in order to guarantee any reasonable amount of room for myself, I've got to get in and QUICKLY shuffle across the bed to where she is already lying, and spoon her THERE for about 5 seconds (long enough for her unconsciousness to register that I'm there). It is then and ONLY then that I will have secured my own half of the bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny! I have plenty of OCD quirks, too. Every night I check all the windows and doors to make sure they're locked... maybe not so weird in and of itself, but I have to do it in the same order every time.

    I have an annoying tendency to count things. I sometimes catch myself counting my steps as I walk and have to force myself to stop.

    You know the numbers on your stereo or TV that show you the volume level? When I'm adjusting the volume, it has to stop on a multiple of five. Never mind if it's just slightly too loud!

    More than you wanted to know? I have more, but I think I've revealed enough. Yes, I'm a little OCD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:56 AM

    You people are so weird. Of course, we are too.

    At night, the only way I can go to sleep, is if I am tapping my fingers on Paul's arm or shoulder - as if I were playing the piano. He doesn't seem to mind.
    I also MUST have some part of Paul touching me before I can be truly comfortable, so I do something similar to what "the man" described when Paul comes to bed.

    Paul - that list could go ON and ON!! haha

    I say, it's all good. Whatever helps you to be more comfortable in your zone.

    ReplyDelete