
Growing up there never was a car trip that wasn't without primary songs. If we went to Grandma's, we would sing primary songs, when we took a family trip to Yellowstone, we would sing primary songs, when we'd get in the car to go to church, we were singing primary songs. Instead of my parents complaining about all the noise, they would join in. If there was a new song they didn't know, we would spend the travel time teaching them the words. But no matter what, we always sang together!
Primary songs will always be a part of my life. These songs are inspired words that help promote testimony's, bring comfort, and are just plain fun! There were a couple of times growing up where a primary song brought a lot of comfort. In the middle of the night, during a lightning storm I would sing. When I'd go in for my booster shots just before school, I would sing. When my sister fell from her bike and her knee was all scrapped up, we would sing together to keep her from crying.
As I've become an adult I admit that these songs still bring me such joy and comfort. When my brother passed away we sang, "families can be together forever." When a missionary leaves we sing, "Armies of Helaman." When we get together for family home evening we sing, "I am a child of God." Last week when I was perming Jessica and Genevieve's hair, we sang primary songs to help pass the time.
Yesterday I had a Dr's appointment. One that I was not looking forward to. One that I was told would be extremely painful. Of course my nerves were crazy and I could hardly sit still waiting for the doctor to come in. As I sat there with my heart racing and my body chilled with only a small blanket around me I started to sing. I went through all the songs we've been practicing for our primary program. "Scripture Power", "Follow the Prophet", "Did Jesus really live again", and yes, I had to squeeze in the "Popcorn song". While singing these songs it help bring comfort and warmth. I made it through the procedure and I was grateful to my Heavenly Father for the comfort I received from just singing those simple, yet powerful primary songs.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
The Power of Primary Songs
Posted by
Shawna
at
7:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Me too! All growing up my sisters and I LOVED to watch scary movies, but they totally freaked us out! When it would get to a part where we were really scared, we would put our heads under the blanket and sing 'I am a Child of God.' That song can make even the most frightened child feel better.
ReplyDeleteMusic of any kind is an incredible force, but religious music is amazing! I hope your procedure went well. Love you...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up, whenever we drove south along Redwood Road toward 7000 South, we could see the Jordan River temple, seemingly rising from the ground. It was best at night when the temple was illuminated like a second moon! At that moment when we first saw the “rising” spires we all sang (you probably guessed it) “I Love To See the Temple.” Shawna, thanks for invoking good memories linked to Primary songs!
ReplyDeleteYour procedure sounds AWFUL! I hope the results are optimistic!!!
Primary songs rock! They really do help and teach a lot.
ReplyDeleteI always felt cool knowing how to say all the books in the Bible when I was little...
"Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers..."
And "Choose the right" was the first song I learned how to play on the piano with BOTH hands.
I hope your procedure went well to!
Speaking of singing… Bubba was playing alone in his room yesterday. When I heard him singing (sort of… it was kind of a song/chant) I stopped what I was doing to listen. The only words to his song were “Scott and Shawna” repeated about a dozen times. Too cute!
ReplyDeleteBubba was singing about us! How cute. I'm so glad he still remembers us. Can't wait to see that kid again.
ReplyDelete