Nervous Poo: A phenomenon that occurs when you are about to encounter an event that requires you to step out of your comfort zone.
This term has been widely used in our household. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was my dear husband that came up with this very unique, very "to the point" term. We use it to describe exactly how we feel (and what happens) when faced with a situation that would take us out of our comfort zone. Let me elaborate:
My brother-in-law was scheduled to take his MCAT on Aug. 19th. He had been preparing for this test since January. The day before the test, we called to let him know that we were thinking of him and ask if he had the "Nervous Poo". He was still a day away and the realization hadn't hit him yet. One hour before he was to take the test, we got a text message from him that read, "I'm now experiencing the 'Nervous Poo'."
Another example:
Scott was applying for a position at work a couple months back. He's an expert in the field they were hiring for and felt pretty confident that his interview and test would go well. The morning before he left for work I asked him how he was doing. Again, he expressed his confidence and felt that all would be well. At quarter to two that afternoon I get a text from him that read, "I have the 'Nervous Poo'." Even though he had had the "Nervous Poo" he made it through rather well!
All of us, at one time or another has experienced the "Nervous Poo" phenomenon, it plays a big roll in our lives. It's a way for our bodies to release stress (no pun intended) and without it I think we would simply blow up!
I remember when this phenomenon back fired on me. I was 10 yrs. old and learning how to swim. Me and my sister's had been through a 12 week swimming program and the last day was approaching; the day where we would have to prove that we could swim and dive on our own. I remember experiencing the "Nervous Poo" just an hour before the test. When it was finally my turn, my stomach was still swarming with butterflies. My first task was the diving board. I climbed to the top, looked down, closed my eyes, and then just jumped. On my way down the "Nervous Poo" phenomenon hit. As I hit the water I knew my life was over. I was humiliated, and knew that I would be teased and tormented. When I came back up for air, I noticed nothing different in the water. My suit felt fine, and just as I was about to take in a sigh of relief, a "dingle berry" popped up! (I won't get into "dingle berries" but you get the picture)
The reason for bringing this up is because Shott has been experiencing this phenomenon today. Today he gets to go and see the doctor. He gets to go in for a nice, full physical. He hasn't had one of these since his mission. I don't feel bad for him,(I've had my fair share) and I'm not trying to relish in his pain. I'm just expressing how interesting it is that we all go through these type of human things and the only way to help make it light is to admit that we all experience it and that we can laugh.
Shott, good luck today!
Thursday, September 14, 2006
Nervous Poo
Posted by
Shawna
at
2:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm going to the dentist today for the first time in 5 years (I know, I know... I'm bad).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I have nervous poo.
Good luck Scotty-my-man!
So it is ACTUAL poo, though, eh? Not just an expression of feeling? Whoa....sounds really...um, smelly.
ReplyDeleteI don't know that I've ever experienced physical nervous poo, but I have experienced the spirit of it. My body tends to express the "it's-go-time" nervousnous through perfuse sweating followed usually by a headache. I like your euphemism though. I'll add it to my list of Harmon vocabulary words. Sometimes I think that we Harmons are like our own episode of Seinfeld!!
It can count as both Actual and an expression of feeling. For Scott and I, more Scott, it's Actual!
ReplyDeleteFor me, it's nervous pee.
ReplyDeleteOh, I was cracking up through that whole thing! Wish I could think of a good story of when it happened to me, but all I could think while reading was, "Maybe that's why The Man was always tooting when we were dating." It was really just the Nervous Poo!
ReplyDeleteNice....
ReplyDeleteSo funny what The Woman said about The Man. Hilarous. And to Scawna I give the bravery reward. Knowing parents can and will read these, I'd have succombed to conservativism. So funny.
ReplyDelete