When I was little, the thought of being a mom was ever present. In helping care for my other siblings and babysitting younger children in my neighborhood allowed me to form my view and excitement for the day when that would be my role. In Young Women’s you learn and prepare for that as well. Every aspect of growing up as a girl and as young women, in the church, is in preparation for and in helping rear the next generation as a married adult. When that day never came I questioned my worth and all my faults. Year after year and doctor after doctor I was getting tired and weary. Scott, I’m sure, was getting tired of my fanatical melt downs, although he was ever sweet and comforting. I knew I needed to keep my faith and knew that the Lord has His hands in all things. I had seen the evidence of that in my life in the past and I knew in the back of my mind that it was sill true now. I remember getting a call from a brother in law announcing the anticipated arrival of their fourth child, a call from a friend later that week who was expecting her third, and paperwork left and right from our agency letting us know we had forgotten a few things to fill out here and there. I was through! I was spent and past weary. I had a broken spirit and asked the Lord to take this burden away from me; I couldn’t carry it any longer. It was affecting my attitude and my daily life. I pleaded more for that relief then for anything else in my life. This was in June.
August 28th was our first email from our birth mom. You cannot believe the utter excitement we experienced as we continued our correspondence back and forth with this beautiful young woman, our Angel! The Lord had heard my prayer for relief and was granting me a season of joy. On the days we didn’t hear back from our Angel was agony. Not knowing her thoughts or how she felt about us ate me up. At times it was more agonizing then at other times. These were the times that the Lord allowed me to reflect on how hard this must be for our birth mom! She was making some very important and difficult decisions in her life at that moment and I needed to be aware and sensitive to her situation. At this time we weren’t even sure if she was going to pick us to be her baby’s parents. We continued our correspondence……
September 23rd was life changing for us. We received a beautiful email from our Angel asking us if we would be her baby’s parents. She wanted to make sure her baby had both a mom and a dad who would rear him in the Gospel and she knew we were the ones to take on that task…Forever! Again, tears flowed freely but this time these were tears of joy! We continued our correspondence. …
On December 26th we take off to Chicago for the arrival of our baby boy! Throughout this new, exciting, agonizing, terrifying, and most anticipated life changing ordeal we have seen the Lords hand guiding us through. We know He will continue to do so and throughout the rest of our life.
Merry Christmas!
Friday, December 19, 2008
His hand in all things
Posted by
Shawna
at
11:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a wonderful Christmas gift. I love you. I can't WAIT to meet him.
ReplyDeleteI have been checking your blog daily for news-- what an awesome time of year to welcome your baby boy into the world. You guys are amazing and I am thrilled for you! I will be having a baby boy within the next month, so we should get together sometime. Can't wait to see pictures!
ReplyDeleteShawna, What a awesome thing to have happen to you guys and at such a great time of year! Your post brang tears to my eyes.. What a emotional ride you guys have been on and how wonderful that you finally get to live your dream of being parents!Congratulations and I can't wait to see pictures of him! Merry Christmas to you guys!
ReplyDeleteAmber
Shawna, I can not tell you the amazing Spirit I felt as i read your blog. Tears fell and I was filled with such joy for you. I can not wait to see all the many posts to come of you and your little one as you start the beginning of your forever life. Kisses to you all. Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeleteShawna - Congratulations again. This is so exciting for you guys. Thank you for sharing your story with us, it brought tears to my eyes. We ourselves just celebrated 3 years of having our little Isabella sealed to us. This is a special Christmas for you both. I'm glad you have had a couple of months to prepare for this little boy too, we only had a day and a half before picking up Isabella. But it was perfect timing and as you mentioned, The Lord has His hand in all things, we know this to be true as well. It is really hard to understand what our plan is on this earth and why we have to wait for so long on things we think we are ready for, but when you look back you can totally understand that The Lord knows best.
ReplyDeleteBe safe and I can't wait to hear more about your son. - Jamie
Shawna- we can't wait to meet your little man...so hurry home ok??? Love you!!!!
ReplyDeleteRaeLynn and I have been watching your blog to hear more about the great news. That's awesome, we're so excited for you as well!
ReplyDeletehow exciting!! I am so happy for you and your family! What a christmas gift! You have waited so long and endured so much... it is finally YOUR turn! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! As tears literally stream down my face I just want to hug you!!
ReplyDeleteAt least you have had some time to prep yourselves for this miracle! My cousin and his wife literally had 3 days!! They got a email and a phone call from LDS services stating that they were selected..... the birth mom had chosen parents, but the parents ended up getting pregnant, so they backed out of the adoption so another family can have the same joy.... well 3 days later their little man was born! And they are getting sealed to him in a few weeks! Adoption is amazing! I am actually somewhat jealous... no contractions, no labor pains, no stretch marks hahaha.. you get the end result, the best feeling ever... holding YOUR son!! YAY!
ReplyDeleteHoly Cow what a wonderful Christmas gift! We're so excited for you and can't wait to meet the most lucky baby when you get back!!
ReplyDeleteAren't you just excited???? How great will that moment be when you get that little boy in your arms. I wish you the best and it will be exiciting to see this new addition to your family! Safe travels to you both!
ReplyDeleteI am very excited to meet your baby boy!
ReplyDeleteWow!! I'm sure it doesn't seem like it, but time has flown by! We are so happy and excited for you and Scott. What a lucky baby boy he is have you. Can't wait to meet him!!
ReplyDeleteTravel safe:) LOL
Shawna, you've got me crying. I'm SO unbelieveably thrilled for you! What a blessing he's gonna be in your lives, and how lucky is he to get such cool parents????!! All right Mom, have a fantastic Christmas and then go get your baby!!
ReplyDeleteWow!! what an amazing Christmas present. I can't even tell you how happy we are for you two :)
ReplyDelete(the MIL not the sister;)
ReplyDeleteScott and Shawna,
Your post is a tear jerker- we are so excited for you to become parents and for your parents to have the joy of a new grandchild! You will be the best parents ever! I once heard a mom (who adopted two girls) say that when you are an adoptive mom, the waiting and tears are your "labor", that you truly do labor for that child which creates the bond between you. All the time and trials will be worth it! We will be so excited to see the pics, have a wonderful time in the midwest!
Love Von and Kelly Batteen
Oh you guys,
ReplyDeleteThat is the BEST Christmas present ever!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jimmy and I are so excited for you and can't wait to meet the little guy! We love you guys! Travel safe and have fun!!!! What an amazing experience for both of you. Merry Christmas!!
~Annemarie~
I heard the baby was born on Dec 27th!! CONGRATS GUYS!! POST SOME PICTURES OF YOUR LITTLE FAMILY!! We are so happy for you! (oh Annemarie is the one who told me the news!)
ReplyDeletejennie stephens
We are so incredibly thrilled for your family! I know things are a bit overwhelming right now, so we will be patiently waiting for you to get home and settled (a little) before bugging you for pictures and details. We love you guys so much. I know you must finally feel that the waiting was worth it because now you know that he is the one you were waiting for. He is perfect for you. Can't wait to meet him in person. Stay safe and warm and enjoy your brand new baby boy. All our love,
ReplyDeleteKim and Ty
Hey Chick-ee. Where is the pictures of Kallen you said you'd post?! You better do it fast lil' mama, I'm anxious to see the little boy of yours. Well until you do, have fun playing mommy! Love You Shawna...and Scott. ;) Haha.
ReplyDelete