Friday, November 21, 2008

The Gorgeous Young Man

Today I went to the bank on my lunch break. I wanted to cash a few checks I received from doing hair. I pulled up to the drive thru and noticed that all the registers were full. I pulled up behind the closest line and waited for the cars in front of me to finish there transactions. I was parked far enough away from the suburban in front of me so I could move into the next line just in case the car to the right moved from their register first.
I sat there for almost 15 min. WAITING. Then I thought, “Just move behind the next car, he looks like he’s winding down with his transaction…..No, just wait here. If you move then the suburban in front of you will then be the one that moves first.” (It always happens that way)
So I stayed put, and just as the car to my left was about to pick up his money from the register a silver sports car pulled up to the side of me just as he was about to leave and then pulled into his spot. “DANG IT!!! I should have moved!” I was getting pretty antsy, even mad! The suburban in front of me was obviously having some issues with some money thing and so I moved into the next spot behind the silver sports car. Just as I moved from behind the suburban a silver van pulled into my previous spot. That’s when the suburban in front of the van finally moved and the silver van moved freely into the space I SHOULD'VE HAD!!!! AAAAAHHHHH! Then the words just came rolling off my tongue…“Son of a BIT*#!!!! I was furious!
It finally became my turn. I pulled up to the register, ripped the canister from the register and shoved my checks and ID into it. A few minutes later a nice, manly voice came over the speaker and asked if I wanted these checks cashed. “Yes, PLEASE.” (DUH) as I looked at him through the window with my eyes a blaze with fury. It didn’t matter that he was drop dead gorgeous. He worked for the bank and I was mad at the bank and everyone around me for coming to the bank!
“No problem that will be out in a minute for you.”
I half heartedly snipped out the word; “Thanks”
About 30 seconds later I could hear the canister coming back through the tube to my register. As I pulled out the canister I counted my money, made sure my ID was in check and then noticed a receipt with the phrase, “GO COUGARS!” written in blue marker. The gorgeous young man noticed my BYU hat I was wearing. I looked up at him and he was smiling at me with that beautiful smile giving me the thumbs up.
And that was it! My demeanor toward all those who had un-fairly finished their transactions before me there in the drive thru, and those who worked at the bank was gone! That small, insignificant gesture on his part was huge for me…..and I started to cry! (I guess that can give you a clue to how crazy this week has been…I mean, to cry over that, COME ON!!)
It’s been times like these that make me aware that I have the same obligation to treat others the same way this gorgeous young man did me. He totally affected the rest of my day (and not because he was gorgeous, ok, maybe a little) and with just a simple gesture. Thanks gorgeous young man for that wonderful lesson!!!!

It’s a good thing Scott wasn’t with me when this all took place. He wouldn’t have been too pleased with my foul mouth. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:46 PM

    Or that you thought that bank boy was a hot cakes. You really are emotional... just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is entitled to have a foul mouth every once and a while. Good thing for the good lookin guys to make our days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Oh Shawna!
    I love reading your blog. You have such fun stories to tell that always make me roll on the floor with laughter!! You are so lucky Scott wasn't there to see you drooling over this gorgeous young bank boy that turned your frown upside down:)

    `Annemarie:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That story is hillarious and I too have had those same days at the bank drive up!Thanks for making me laugh today..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can't tell you how much I laughed as I was reading this because it is SO true! I seriously have gone through similar things and it drives me crazy! One little question...where is this bank so I can meet this gorgeous young man?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny. I have had moments like that at the bank and at the grocery store, and...you know. Anyway, you are the best- you AND your foul mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!!!! my bank doesn't hire gorgeous men....how come???? Thanks for telling your story Shawna. You have the best pick-me-up stories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should write a book Shawna, Seriously! You would make millions. You are so funny and you have such a way with words. I would pay a lot of money for a book of yours, and I'm not just saying that because I'm your sister:) I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Shawna, that is a hilarious story! I had to share it with Marianne. Hope you're both doing well, and Happy Thanksgiving this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while! You always have a way with making things funnier. Thanks for the laugh!! Hope you are well! We are always over at jake's parents house, who live like down the street from you, we should come by and say hello!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have you and mom to thank for my foul mouth!!!! ha ha!!! Shawna you just crack me up, and you make my day! your story really actually did just make my day today. So I guess that gorgeous man at the bank changed more life than just one! I love you
    Love, Kel

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL--I just want to know why you didn't take a picture of this beautiful creature. Did you not have your cell phone? Could you drive back there just to finish off the job? I can't believe you until you show us a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should write comedy bits. And by the way, what bank was that? I can't remember EVER getting customer service at a bank.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha ha ha! That's great. What a day...only a genius could come away with a great lesson like you did. I heard you're getting yourself a baby Shawna!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete