Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Owning a home....a bed of roses, or just plain stinky?

Since we've been in our home we've been doing nothing but upgrades, improving, and changing! For the most part we have enjoyed every moment. The feeling that we can do anything, change anything, and just call this place we live in our own is a wonderful feeling. All of you who own a home can attest to this. There's a lot of pride that goes into doing these great projects that help make our homes unique.
Lately, we've been focusing on our yard. Since we put a lot of time, effort, and most important, money, into the interior of our home we thought we'd focus on cleaning up the yard a little. This cleaing effort has been low cost, and very fulfilling. From the pictures you can see that we've done a little. With some prodding, Scott has really become a man! Next week I plan on putting all my spring bulbs in. I love yard work.


Then there's the "not so great" part of owning a home. Last Saturday Scott was getting ready to finally finish laying the hardwood floor in the bathroom. (I had nagged him for over a month) Since we've been in the home, and before we moved in, there has been a leaking problem with one of the faucets in the main bathroom in the bath tub.
Scott went to pull the toilet off it's base and found a whole load of mold! Yippy! MOLD. I love mold. Everything under the bath tub, the toilet, and even the lower part of the wall behind he toilet was mushy, moldy, and easy to poke.
So, since Saturday we've had a hole in our bathroom with a straight shot to the sewer. (it smells divine) We had to take out the particle floor boards, and now we are pricing a new bathtub and saving our money. Why did we stop renting? "Just call the landlord, he'll take care of it!"
To be honest, I hate the bathtub. It had major water build up and stains plus, if we hadn't of decided to lay the floor, think of the SEVERE damage we would have to deal with later.


But don't worry, we're still as happy as ever to be home owners! We love where we live, and we are thankful for what we have. Come next spring I'll have those beautiful flowers in my yard, and a brand new tub to go along with it!!

4 comments:

  1. Just fixed my blog site so I could go to yours for the first time in weeks and I've missed a LOT! Christy's engaged, shingles (I probably already heard that but dang, I can't believe I forgot such a trial that can be) and that cool package (which I think I'll do too). Your scary stories were AWESOME and your home improvement stories inspire me. Thank you and I think that about covers everything. Yea, I'm caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, my favorite part of your blog is when you quote Shott and Scawna conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:11 PM

    What an icky blessing in disguise! You know that mold would have ruined your day some time in the future.
    You guys are an inspiration. I look forward to owning a home.

    I love that picture of you guys. It looks like a clothing ad in a magazine. I'll email you my vision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck! That mold is awful! Left there much longer and it would have started to make you sick! It's good you have such a wonderful attitude about all you've had to and wanted to do to your house. I admire your spunk - always have!

    ReplyDelete