Thursday, August 10, 2006

"These are my sons, Walker, and Texas Ranger" -Talladega Nights

So last night we had a "Walker and Texas Ranger" moment. About 3-4 times during the summer and fall months Shott and I will take a drive with my parents up to the Copper Mine farm fields to watch the deer graze in the evenings. It's a nice time to quickly get away from the city and take in a little country. The farm fields are protected by Kennecott land and there are some pretty nice looking wildlife to behold.
So last night we all had our binoculars out watching the big Bucks grazing in the hay fields. About 5 min. Into watching the deer a man with his 2 boys and wife pull up in a Chevy SUV. He gets out and comes over and asks if we could see the "36" spread" (referring to one of the big bucks)

My Dad says, "no, just small ones out tonight."

" Do you mind if I look through your Scope?"

"Sure, no problem, help yourself."

As the man was looking through the scope, I noticed in my binoculars a flock of Turkeys heading toward some of the deer in the pasture.

"Hey dad, I think I see some turkeys out there."

"Turkeys, you see the turkey's out there", the man said.

"Yeah, just over to the left of the deer."

"Oh, Wow, can my boys take a look, they've been wanting to see them there turkeys for a while."

"Sure", I said, "they can look through my binoculars."

So the man turns toward the truck and yells out to his boys, "Hunter, Fisher, come over and see these turkeys."

HUNTER, FISHER! Are you kidding me. As soon as the names left the man's lips my mom turned into the cab of the truck and started to laugh. Shott was laughing so hard he had to slide back behind the truck. My dad and I gave each other looks and tried desperately not to react!

Just earlier that evening we had been talking about how hilarious that part in the new Will Ferrell movie was. You know, the one where he has named his two boys, Walker and Texas Ranger. The hilarity of the movie was so close to the surface that we had no choice but to react to such a similarity. After the man and his family left we spent the rest of the time coming up with the rest of their children's names. Like Fawn, Archer, Trigger, and Feather. I know, we're bad but it sure did give us a good laugh. Maybe you had to be there, but we sure did enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. Some people. I swear, do they not think of how cruel kids are these days? Part of the process of picking out kids names is coming up with any possible mean nicknames other people can give them or how they can be made fun of.

    Have a little compassion on your babies, people.

    Haven't seen the movie yet, but we heard it's hilarious. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh so hard! And I can imagine you guys sitting there trying NOT to laugh.

    Actually, I kind of like the names "Hunter" and "Fisher" - if you don't think about them together, or realize what the dad meant by naming them that, they aren't the WORST names in the world.

    What about Archer, Buck, or Antelopia? Eh???

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you already thought of Archer. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! I like the name Hunter, but you're right, Hunter and Fisher together... a little much! I can almost hear your mom laughing.

    ReplyDelete