Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Down to Up

The other day I a was having a downer. The kind where every failure and inadequacy come to mind: I'm fat, I have no children, my hair's a mess, I could be a better wife, a better co-worker, friend or sister. I have rats in my bushes, I need new clothes, I wish I didn't have to work, The brakes in our car need to be fixed, our grass is dying, I'm not serving enough....On & on. Very damaging thoughts!
Then on my way home I sat at the light at an intersection and noticed a homeless man holding a cardboard sign asking for work or money. Seeing this man sitting in the sweltering heat hit me like a ton of bricks and I started to cry. I have everything! It may be a little different then what the world has defined as everything, but I do and probably more! I have food, an adoption application, I'm a hair dresser, my husband loves me and shows me that he does every single day, I enjoy work, I call my sister's every week, I have poison for the rats, I have money, we can afford to get our brakes fixed, we fertilized our lawn, I have a house, and I'm a primary teacher. Everything that had brought me down was gone. The Lord blessed me with the opportunity to realize that I have everything that I need to make my situation better. It's what we do with our blessings that will determine the outcome of our trials.
It's rare for me to have a downer, I thank my Mom for the example of being happy even through tough times, but when I do, there always seems to be a reminder of how great I have it and then I'm back UP!!

8 comments:

  1. Yes, we all have those days. And our perspective has the power to change it all, just like you said. We all are so blessed and have so much. Sometimes it's easy to forget that. But sometimes, when you take just a moment for yourself to really think things through, it's easy to remember again.

    We are blessed to have you in our lives, Scawna. We love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes have similar thoughts and I find that, for me, it's usually when I'm comparing myself to other people. That never turns out well. It's interesting that you wrote about this because the same thing has been very much on my mind lately. I'm working on not comparing myself, my life, my situation, to everyone else. Just gotta be me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you change your blog format? I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will make you feel better about your hair. (Not that we're COMPARING.) Mine's falling out AGAIN! It was growing back for awhile, but when I stopped nursing Ethan, it started again. I'm getting really freaked out. I feel like I'm a few clogged shower drains away from wig shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about my comment posting twice. I don't know how that happened. I only wrote it once. I know you can erase comments, but I don't know how. I'll work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I have rats in my bushes" - Sounds like a great title to a book!! =)

    In my opinion, you are a beautiful (inside & out), loving, smart, talented woman. Thanks for reminding me to always remember my blessings.

    Here's a thought I got from a newsletter I get regularly...

    "Your soul longs to fulfill its purpose-a purpose you agreed to in the timelessness in which you existed before your birth. Because of this, neither you nor the universe will set any circumstance before you that you are not capable of handling."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose it is normal to have thoughts like that when you are a "normal" human being Scawna...but this is YOU we are talking about. The woman of a million and one talents and abilities!!! I love you and am glad that you had an uplifting boost to change your way of thinking! We all need that once in a while. Another thing to remember next time your down...is how MANY people love you and think you are absolutely AMAZING (obviously...I am included on that LONG list ;)

    ReplyDelete