This year I finally got to the landscaping of my front yard. I was so excited to finally have a chance to work on it. I took a whole Saturday and finalized everything. My grass doesn’t look the greatest but I’m doing my best to maintain it. Now, if you were to look in my backyard it’s a different story. The lawn is kept mowed but the perimeter of the lawn is covered in 6 foot weeds. Even the elevation where the big trees grow has become entangled in weeds and is quite an eyesore.
_______________________________________________________
A couple of weeks ago I was struggling with the woes of life. It was one of those moments when you look at where you are and you either get really excited or you get really depressed. I was focusing, at this time, on where I thought I should be at the age of thirty. I was sad because both my sister’s have now moved out of state and not just a few states away, but clear across the country. I am struggling with getting into the whole adoption waiting process (I never in my wildest dreams imagined having a family would be this hard.) I’m mad that all the fertility pills I took over the years made me a fat lardo and now losing the weight is just as hard for me as trying to have children. And I hate that I have to go to work everyday instead of taking my children, which I don’t have, swimming or doing whatever fun activity you can enjoy with your children over the summer, or at any time.
As you can see this was a destructive thought process. I even consider myself a happy person. This last time was pretty bad though. Keeping busy helped me a lot. I remember when my brother passed away. I thought nothing would be as hard or depressing as that. And as we all know, the trials just keep a comin. One thing I’ve learned…you can never compare your trials!
I’ve been reading a book called “The Glass Castle” by Jeanette Walls. It’s a true story about Jeanette’s life. Reading this has brought clarity to my mind in regards to trials we encounter. I have always been thankful for the things that I have been blessed with, even my trials. But reading about other people and their life struggles can help put your own life into perspective.
_______________________________________________________
The other day I came home from a very tiring day at work. Sam, our dog, greeted me at the door but was hesitant to greet me in her usual exciting way. She was a little forlorn. I knew right away that something was wrong. I made my way into the kitchen... nope, no pooh on the floor. I made my way down the hall and as I came to our bedroom I noticed that the door was open and a very foul smell came a wafting up my nostrils. As I made my way into the room I saw before me a horrendous nightmare! Sam had literally exploded all over our room. There was pooh and dog puke everywhere. It was in our bathroom, all over the floor and to my utter horror it was all over in our BED!!!!(the gag reflex started taking over at this point) Sam didn't realize she had came very close to living out her last day. She had done all this early enough in the day that it had time to really soak into the floor and bed. I started to cry. This was NOT a mess I wanted to deal with. Scott couldn’t handle it; he’d be puking and making the same mess she had if he would have tried to tackle it, so it was up to me to set to cleaning it up. It came down to us having to buy a new mattress. Funny thing, I didn’t mind that we needed a new mattress. Interesting..., something great came out of this horrible mess. I slept great on my new mattress that night. (thanks also goes out to George W. Bush and that great stimulus package of his)
_____________________________________________________
A couple of days ago I got up to get ready for work. It was a little darker in the bathroom then normal so I opened up the bathroom window, it was over cast and trying to rain. I took in a deep breathe to smell the cool summer morning air. Instantly I noticed it. It struck me so strong. It was vivid and beautiful. Among the 6 foot weeds in my unkempt backyard stood a strong and beautiful sunflower. I had never noticed it before. It seemed as if it was placed there specifically for me on that morning. It had grown right up through the thick roots of the weeds that were surrounding it. It grew where it was placed and it was beautiful. Everything became so clear and I realized that I could truly handle anything. Dog throw up, adopting my family, missing my sister’s, losing a brother, or trying to loose weight. Life is good, we have been given so much, and it’s up to us on how to grow amongst the weeds of life!
_______________________________________________________
A couple of weeks ago I was struggling with the woes of life. It was one of those moments when you look at where you are and you either get really excited or you get really depressed. I was focusing, at this time, on where I thought I should be at the age of thirty. I was sad because both my sister’s have now moved out of state and not just a few states away, but clear across the country. I am struggling with getting into the whole adoption waiting process (I never in my wildest dreams imagined having a family would be this hard.) I’m mad that all the fertility pills I took over the years made me a fat lardo and now losing the weight is just as hard for me as trying to have children. And I hate that I have to go to work everyday instead of taking my children, which I don’t have, swimming or doing whatever fun activity you can enjoy with your children over the summer, or at any time.
As you can see this was a destructive thought process. I even consider myself a happy person. This last time was pretty bad though. Keeping busy helped me a lot. I remember when my brother passed away. I thought nothing would be as hard or depressing as that. And as we all know, the trials just keep a comin. One thing I’ve learned…you can never compare your trials!
I’ve been reading a book called “The Glass Castle” by Jeanette Walls. It’s a true story about Jeanette’s life. Reading this has brought clarity to my mind in regards to trials we encounter. I have always been thankful for the things that I have been blessed with, even my trials. But reading about other people and their life struggles can help put your own life into perspective.
_______________________________________________________
The other day I came home from a very tiring day at work. Sam, our dog, greeted me at the door but was hesitant to greet me in her usual exciting way. She was a little forlorn. I knew right away that something was wrong. I made my way into the kitchen... nope, no pooh on the floor. I made my way down the hall and as I came to our bedroom I noticed that the door was open and a very foul smell came a wafting up my nostrils. As I made my way into the room I saw before me a horrendous nightmare! Sam had literally exploded all over our room. There was pooh and dog puke everywhere. It was in our bathroom, all over the floor and to my utter horror it was all over in our BED!!!!(the gag reflex started taking over at this point) Sam didn't realize she had came very close to living out her last day. She had done all this early enough in the day that it had time to really soak into the floor and bed. I started to cry. This was NOT a mess I wanted to deal with. Scott couldn’t handle it; he’d be puking and making the same mess she had if he would have tried to tackle it, so it was up to me to set to cleaning it up. It came down to us having to buy a new mattress. Funny thing, I didn’t mind that we needed a new mattress. Interesting..., something great came out of this horrible mess. I slept great on my new mattress that night. (thanks also goes out to George W. Bush and that great stimulus package of his)
_____________________________________________________
A couple of days ago I got up to get ready for work. It was a little darker in the bathroom then normal so I opened up the bathroom window, it was over cast and trying to rain. I took in a deep breathe to smell the cool summer morning air. Instantly I noticed it. It struck me so strong. It was vivid and beautiful. Among the 6 foot weeds in my unkempt backyard stood a strong and beautiful sunflower. I had never noticed it before. It seemed as if it was placed there specifically for me on that morning. It had grown right up through the thick roots of the weeds that were surrounding it. It grew where it was placed and it was beautiful. Everything became so clear and I realized that I could truly handle anything. Dog throw up, adopting my family, missing my sister’s, losing a brother, or trying to loose weight. Life is good, we have been given so much, and it’s up to us on how to grow amongst the weeds of life!

Shawna you amaze me. Trials suck, they do. But just think about this... when you do finally experience holding YOUR baby, doesnt matter who gives birth to that child ITS YOURS. You will be so grateful and be so much more in love with that baby then any other child out there. You will get your family, and you and Scott have the best relationship. You are truly best friends and so amazing together. I sometimes wish Jake and I had some alone time with eachother before we had kids. Now I have to wait until my kids are grown and I will be 50 when they are all gone! Something to look forward to I guess? You are not a lardo, you are gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you are honest and straight forward in your posts. I have felt this way a lot (some times in different areas in life) and I'm usually too busy to even notice the Sunflower. Thanks for reminding us that we can grow where we are planted. For what it's worth--I totally look up to you and I think you're amazing. If I am even a percentage of how cool you are when I am 30, I will consider myself very lucky.
ReplyDeleteYou're a strong woman. Stronger than most people out there. This post was a great reminder for me to love every moment of my life and to realize we create our lives with our thoughts.
ReplyDeleteSometimes while our thoughts are somewhere else, beautiful oppertunities and moments are being missed or passed over. Yes, it's good to have goals and plans for our lives, but it's also important to pay attention to the wonders of life all around us at the moment.
Thank you for helping me to remember to look past the poop! I love you Chica!
I'm sorry that you've had such a struggle. I think you are so strong to go through this. You can always take my kids!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for putting a perspective on life. No matter what stage you are in you always have those days :(. Its good to remember the sunflowers in all our life's...thanks again for the inspiration.
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome woman!! I know life can be so unfair, it can suck big time, but somehow we are supposed to move on! You are such a good person, things will start happening for you. You'll see, you guys will be getting that baby soon. I can't wait for that day. You are such a cute woman, I think it is naughty you called yourself lardo...that is a "no no" at my house:) Ayden would love to come over and prepare you and Scott for having a young person around!!
ReplyDeleteOh girlfriend...we really need to hang :-) I certainly can't relate to losing a brother or adoption so I won't even pretend I can relate to overwhelming things in general. Just take it a step at a time...just like our awesome hiking trips will be!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry things have been tough lately! We know there's opposition in all things; and I've always been amazed at what a happy and upbeat person you are, I never thought about how low your lows could be for you.
ReplyDeleteBut you have done more than just try to "get through it." You see and understand the good in life, and you LEARN from your feelings. We should all take a lesson from you (in more areas than one!), and enjoy the little moments in life that are given to us as gifts.
Our YW lesson on Sunday had a great quote. You may have heard it before ...
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Dance, girl. Dance!
Miss Shawna.....it is ok to have those "pity" parties...but I have found out they are for only ourselves....nobody else cares or understands...so the next day we get up and see the "sunflowers" of tomorrow and get moving on with our life. If you have noticed people are always wanting what they don't have. We must work with what we have.....and right now you have been entrusted with my daughter in Young Womens of which I am truly grateful everyday! (And don't you ever forget that)! I hope you find some peace within yourself knowing that you are a fantastic person that has much to give.
ReplyDeleteShawna I just LOVE YOU!!! Wow you are amazing and I am grateful to call you friend. Sounds dorky...but it's true! You amaze me with your wisdom and insight and I learn so much from you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you had such an ordeal with Sam. That sucks!!! I hope she is ok. Anyway, I love you shawna poo! You are my hero, i'm not kidding. And that picture of the sunflower is amazing. you should enter it into a contest or something.
ReplyDelete