Wednesday, February 07, 2007

When one door closes, another opens.

The last couple of weeks have been a little crazy for us and it has to do with a door closing and another one opening. On Jan. 26th I was laid of from work, a job I had been with for almost 6 years. The company has been going through some tough times and with the loss of one of their accounts I, along with a few others, was let go. Of course I was in shock at the news, but there had been hints here and there that there would be some down sizing. My name tag would keep falling off my desk, I was getting the cold shoulder from the CEO, and of course there was the "feeling". It was sad to leave my close friends and the comforts that came with the job, but after the initial shock I went into the "everything will be ok" mode (of course this also occurred with the help of Scott) So, for the past two weeks I have been searching for a job.(not too frantically) After many interviews and job offers I start work on Monday with a company called Orbit Medical. Doing pretty much the same thing I was doing before.
What has been so great about all this is the time I've had off and the great things I have been able to do. Last week I was able to go to the Dr's whenever I wanted. No, "let's figure this out with my work schedule." I went shopping in the middle of the day. I had lunch with my Dad on his birthday, I went with my mom to Salt Lake to help her out at the Relief Society resource center (she's a service missionary there), I was able to help out and make dinners for people in the ward who had been sick or just had babies, I had my visiting teacher over (her nights are always swamped), I had dinner ready every night when Scott got home from work, and I had the house clean and laundry done. Being home has been AWESOME!!! I told Scott, "you will make more money, and I will stay home!" (of course this is when we have children, which had better be soon!!) Along with this time off we were able to make some other personal realizations. The Lord truly blesses us in our time of need!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I had no idea! I'm so sorry to hear you lost your job. That stinks. But I'm glad to hear you were able to find another one so quickly. Good luck with the new job. It's always a difficult transition "starting over" somewhere. And it sounds like you had a good time with your time off, and filled it with selfless acts of service instead of a bunch of tv. Good for you.

    And thanks for your help and prayers today. We'll call when we have some answers. We love and miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:08 AM

    I love your attitude!! When bad things happen it is SO important to remember that tomorrow is another day, and that God has a different plan.
    Good luck with your new job! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shook Shawna...

    However...

    I'm curious. How come you're not going to just go out on your own? You loved the freedom of having your own schedule and time, right? You are a talented aesthetician... so, why not have your cake and eat it too? You've got a HOME now where you could have your own salon. Why not take the plunge? You may have been handed a golden ticket here!

    Sorry...I get a little excited sometimes. Just consider the source. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's actually in the works, and once the salon is built, I will stay home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm sorry about the lay-off. It's amazing you found another job so quickly. I hear it can sometimes take months... years... (wink).

    I was laid-off once and it turns your world upside down for a minute. But, sometimes, when you're right-side-up again you're in a better place. Sounds like that's the case for you!

    Call me when you get a chance. We want to try again to find a time to have you guys over for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably don't want to hear this, but we're sending out our "I'm sorry that happened"'s too. On the other hand, I feel some empathy for you. We've got resumes circulating in Utah right now and waiting to hear back from someone, ANYONE!

    ReplyDelete